Friday, September 16, 2011

My mother never...

...saw me truly happy. Not to say as a child that I wasn't mostly happy. I might have been, but not before, during and after her divorce from my dad. She spent the majority of my late childhood going from job to job, man to man. And I went to several different schools, never really having close friends of a social life.

I left home when I was 18, I joined the Air Force in 1986. And for the next 24 plus years my life were filled with angst, anger, resentment, self-loathing, conflicting, and most of all, an innate ability to not understand what love is. In particular, true, unconditional love.

I found resolution with some over the years. I have four beautiful children that have help restore my faith and have taught me what unconditional love is. But it wasn't until I was reunited with a girl from my past that I have truly had a transformation into a person who now is filled with hope, and that I know have a positive outlook on life.

Yet it wasn't until my mother discovered that I love to write, and that I started to write poetry to express my thoughts, and feelings towards those that affect my life daily, and as a reflection of how I have changed as a son, man, father, lover and friend.

Feeling
I found myself swept away,
unable to concentrate,
I noticed I did not mind this.
This feeling of life that I have found
I have come to love this life,
and the one who has given it meaning.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter how your life was in the past.All that matters is that now you know how to love truly and you have such wonderful children that love you unconditionally.
    “The wound is the place where the Light enters you.”
    "Rumi"

    I quite agree that children are the best teachers to teach us unconditional love.They are so pure like flowing water. They are obviously sincere in their beliefs and behaviors.

    I found that if I want to abandon my fictitious identity which I earned of being credited and labeled with "good" and "bad"in the society,and if I want to know my true identity which I was born with,I need unlearn all of those "good"s and "bad"s values that society has thought me.I mean that the best way is to learn from children how to think and how to love.How to forgive and how to forget.The just live in the moment.

    I wish I still were a child and my mind had never been changed to a nest of invalid thoughts and values.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredible discussion this is. I feel like I need to run home and hug my children. Oh dear, I can't I'm still working, but I will give them an extra long hug tonight when I get home. Thank you both.

    ReplyDelete